Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hypothetical Question

So, let's just say that you are parking your car in a parking lot.  Let's say it is a bookstore parking lot.  You get out of your car and look to the car next to you.  You see a woman curled up in the fetal position in the front seat sleeping.  Her car is on and she has her phone next to her.  It appears that the alarm is set on the phone, but maybe not, because the phone seems too fancy to understand. 
You have a few choices to make.  Do you:
  1. Stand at the window and stare for a very long time because only strange people sleep in their car?
  2. Talk as loud as you can while getting out of your car, laugh with your friends at the old lady sleeping in her car, then go into the bookstore to mess up the Manga section?
  3. Quietly shut your car door and go into said bookstore to spend a lot of money on books and coffee, all the while thinking good thoughts for the poor lady sleeping in her car because obviously she stays up until 2 am blogging?
If you chose anything other than #3, I am sad to say that we are no longer friends.  OK, I might accept #1 but if you chose #2 you are dead to me.  Hypothetically.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't possible answer that question until I have some more information.

What is the temperature?
What is she wearing?
Is there movement? Or does she look dead?
Is it daytime of early morning/late evening?
Are there any immediate dangers in the area? You know, like bears or a late night Taco Bell?

I could keep going, but it would only serve to annoy you. My analytical is showing.

Anonymous said...

BTW, I love your new background...

RRigdon said...

hahahahaahhaha!

I love your background so much!

Natalie said...

Mary Jo, I said this was hypothetical. But perhaps I can come up with some answers to help exemplify the case. The temperature is COLDDDD, which may explain why the car is running. The woman may have work clothes and a long coat on, with mittens, maybe. She appears dead until some loud talking and laughing happens (I"m just guessing). It appears to be around 3:31pm. The only signs of danger may be the other shoppers. Sheesh! Why can't you just be an easy going amiable?

RachelD said...

I'm a #3. Or the sleeping lady---it could happen.

I'm just wondering what kinda car it is---that she's able to LIE DOWN on the front seat.

Natalie said...

Well, Racheld, I'm just guessing that it might be a Buick Rendezvous, but I'm not sure. I hear that they have seats that recline very far back, like almost into the car seat in the second row. I'm sure that for some people, a reclining front seat might be a prerequisite for a car. I'm just saying.

Anonymous said...

I can't help but comment that Mary Jo can probably identify with this post since she used to sit in her car and alphabetize her typed grocery list. Is it any wonder you two are such good friends? Candy

Natalie said...

Candy! Are you better?

Natalie said...

Thanks, Rachel! I really like it too!

RRigdon said...

Incidently, I would choose d.), which involves clustering my kids around the car, pointing to the poor sleeping woman, and saying, "See kids? That mommy's kids won't let her sleep at home...so she has to come here. Do you want that to be me?"

RachelD said...

OH. I thought since you said "fetal position," she must be lying door-to-door---a practical impossibility in this console age.

I didn't even consider a reclining seat---nobody my age would ever think of "fetal position" in any reference of vertical.

Natalie said...

Racheld- oh yes. Completely reclining front seats are a necessity for any carnappers! So I hear.