Friday, January 30, 2009

Dr. Seuss


I know this is some sort of blasphemy, but:

 I do not like Dr. Seuss. 
 I do not like him with a goose.
 I'd like to hang him with a noose.


I think it's hard enough to explain real words, but how do you explain the made up ones? Cassie is just learning to love reading but she finds it frustrating to read Dr. Seuss because she's not sure if the words are real or made up. Hannah is too curious to just sit and enjoy a lyrical sounding story, she points at each thing on each page and asks what it is, then I have to say things like, Well that is a wump.  And that is a woozle.  She asks if that is a boy or a girl, but the answer is complicated because it is actually a cat-like thing called Mike that is furry and tall and pushes bikes up hills.  Maybe my imagination is stunted or something but I like to read stories and ask questions about the possibilities of each page.  Like, "What do you think will happen next?" or "What would happen if the bunny doesn't go down the hole?" etc.  Is it strange to not adore Dr. Seuss?

2 comments:

RRigdon said...

haaaaaaaaaaaaaa! if you liked him, we couldn't be friends like we are...

Anonymous said...

I've had the same problem reading Dr. Seuss to Syl. But, she really liked one of his early books "Ten Apples Up On Top"...and all the words are according-to-hoyle English.