Friday, February 6, 2009

Autopilot


The faster things are delivered to us, the more impatient we become.  The more options we have, the more confusing things get.
The other day I stood behind a woman at the grocery store who couldn't get out of the door.  She couldn't get out because you had to manually push the glass door open and she was just standing there waiting for the doors to automatically open.  I was truly shocked at how long the woman waited before she finally pushed the door open.  Then, instead of being completely embarrassed at how silly she looked, she had the nerve to be mad at the door.  How dare that door not open when I step forward?  What kind of place is this?

I went to an elementary school yesterday.  Of course before I was allowed in the school I had to check in on a computer.  This computer had big, primary colored words that walked you through the checking in process.  It was pretty self explanatory.  Except I guess not, because someone had labeled the top of the computer "THIS IS NOT A TOUCHSCREEN!"  That made me wonder:
What finally drove the mystery labeler to put that sentence on the computer?  Was it that she had been asked a gazillion times why the computer wasn't working?  Was it that she finally lost it and screamed at some poor mommy volunteer "IT'S NOT A TOUCHSCREEN, YOU BIG DUMMY!" and then the principle made her go to anger management classes and this was what they suggested?  Was it that the first few years of laughing at people pounding at the screen to no avail was a ton of fun, but lately...not so much?  Was the day she finally put that label on that computer a better day?  Does she now get super irritated at people who still touch the screen?  Is she just opposed to fingerprints on her screen (there are people like that...Paul?)  Did she think it was funny to then put the mouse on the wrong side so that it truly was a little difficult to see?  Maybe she is just a helpful person that would like everything to come with easy to read instructions.  
Perhaps I have spent too much time thinking about this.

I went shopping a while ago.  For clothes.  For me, just to clarify.  I went into the ladies room and was washing my hands when I got temporarily confused by the process.  I couldn't get the paper towels to come out.  I went from one dispenser to the other, I waved my hands around, I investigated underneath to see if I could figure out the inner workings of the machine.  Then a very nice lady politely walked in front of me and lightly pressed the bar that dispensed the towels.  I explained to her that this was the first time I had ever been in a store, so she should just excuse me.  The next time I was in this store I noticed that they too have a mystery labeler who put a very helpful "PUSH HERE" label on the paper towel dispenser.  If you see a connection between me and the lady standing at grocery door waiting to get out, you are wrong, and possibly a little hateful.  You see, I had the decency to be completely mortified.  And may I also add that the computer at that school?  It was just asking to be touched what with those bright colors and big words and all.  I was tempted, but I follow rules, especially when I am in a school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.