Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Customer Is Not Always Right

I'm not sure who came up with idiotic saying, but sometimes the customer is just wrong.  Really wrong.  I can let them be right about the temperature of the store, or the fact that we moved the bathrooms to a different location, or that we are a Starbucks because we sell Starbucks coffee, or the other little things that they are wrong about so often.  But they cannot be wrong to my booksellers, or my other customers.  And by wrong I mean WRONG, as in "That's just so WRONG!"  Because I will mess you up, man.  And by mess you up man, I mean I will formally declare you banned from the store until March 1, 2011.  Which is what I did today.

During the holidays a woman and her teenage daughter came in the store looking for an out of stock item (Twilight Boxed Set for those of you playing at home.)  When she was informed that it was out of stock she began demanding random things for free because of her trouble.  "What can you give me since I drove here to buy that and now you don't have it?"  "Can I have this other Twilight book free?"  "Can I have a cookie and drink for free?"  She finally left with the Twilight books and a 10% discount.
She came back last week and verbally attacked one of my booksellers.  The nastiest, ugliest thing ever said in my bookstore.  Then she insulted everyone else in the cafe one by one until a manager found out what was going on and got the crazy out of the store.
Today she came in and started immediately asking for discounts on things.  I stopped her and told her that she was no longer welcome in this store, that her behavior was unacceptable and that she would have to leave immediately.  She was shocked and told me that I couldn't prove anything, that maybe it was her twin sister.  She asked why I had to ban her forever, couldn't I just ban her for 1 or 2 years?  So I lifted the restriction from forever to just 2 years.  But, apparently that wasn't specific enough because she wanted know the date in which she would be allowed to enter the store again.
If you were planning on buying a book, I'd make other plans on March 1, 2011.  Might want to mark it on your calendar.  I know I will.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO!! I remember wishing I could do that during my book selling days.
Gosh...random thought...do you remember The Wig lady? I remember us (ahem) "talking about her nicely" at the cashwrap whenever the new Harlequins came out. (and, of course, by saying "talking about her nicely" I mean "making fun of her profusely")

Jason
I wish I could ban some parents from e-mailing me...

Anonymous said...

YES! That's the Nat I know and love. Brings back memories of Waldenbooks days...a particular confrontation with a crazed Stephen King fan who saw copies of the 'will-be-released-next-week' title in the back room, and demanded to have one. The demand followed by a combination of shouts, tears, threats, bribes ($1...please!), and one (comically unsuccessful) attempt to shove me aside and force his way through the doorway to grab one.

Anonymous said...

Oh and by the way, AVOID the store on March 1, 2011? Please. I'm planning a vacation around it. See you then.

Anonymous said...

Is this the Waldenbooks reunion post?! Count me in!

Magic the Gathering cards, anyone?

Jason V

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous, I never got to ban anyone. I did tell off the sweater vest man who may, or may not, have been the "Phantom Pooper". That was fun. I plan to camp out in the parking lot and be there when you open the doors on Mach 1 2011. You are my hero!
Candy

RRigdon said...

Natalie, you are so hardcore, and I applaud you.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome (and I don't use that word lightly)! I bet you were all red afterward.

Jay

ps--can I have a fee cookie for writing on your blog?

Mrs. G. said...

I'll just go put this on my calendar.

You are one tough ass book seller!

Anonymous said...

I am SO jealous I wasn't there. Stupid other job. I want to know details.

I apologize now for any potential banning I do when I am no longer employed. I am currently making a list of these people.

Don't forget blotchy Jay, red and blotchy.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I knew she would be red and blotchy, but I didn't want to say that--thanks for saying it for me.

Natalie, now I would like a free cookie and a free cup of coffee for writing two comments on your blog.

Natalie said...

Oh my! I go out of town and LOOK! I become a superstar with 10 comments! 10!! I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not, but I adore comments! And I adore all of you! It is a bit of a bookseller reunion, isn't it? Yes, I was red and splotchy, thank you for noticing. I'm really supposed to ask permission before banning, but Candy taught me to ask forgiveness instead. Let that be warning to you all. If you misbehave you shall be banned as well!!

Anonymous said...

OK. Two things.

First: Jason V.! Long time. How's it going?

Second: Who or what is a 'phantom pooper'?

Natalie said...

Jim, I really hate to tell this story, but the Phantom Pooper is this nicely dressed, normal looking man, who would come into the store every single day around lunch to read a magazine in our potties and stop up the toilets. It required a daily plunge. Brave Candy made him stop using us as a pitstop. Horrible story but oh so true!

Anonymous said...

Did anyone see my face.....er, um, I mean....HIS face?