Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sort of Like Sophie's Choice, Except Not Really

When I was 16 I had lots of close friends, but only one best friend.  We had been inseparable since grade school.  In high school we double dated and spent weekends at each others houses and at the lake.  Then I fell hard for her next door neighbor.  Hard.  I was never one to ditch my friends for a boy, but I now had to split my time between my friend and my "oh-my-gosh,-isn't-he-cute,-I'm-so-in-looove" boyfriend.  My friend started to get annoyed when I would make plans with "boyfriend" in that "no really, it's fine, just...whatever" kind of way.  The final nail in the coffin of our friendship was Christmas  when I received a beautiful sterling silver floating heart necklace from my friend.

 I loved it and put it on right away.  Then "boyfriend" gave me his present:  a beautiful gold floating heart necklace.  

He saw the one already hanging from my neck and was crushed so I immediately took the silver one off and put the gold one on.  Day after day I swapped out necklaces until my neck was rubbed raw with the desire to please everyone and I was so confused that I could no longer keep up with who gave me gold and who gave me silver.  I had to make a choice.  I put on the gold necklace and stuck with it.

23 years later and whenever I see my friend (which is surprisingly often), I still feel really sad that we are just a smidge above strangers.  Especially since the silver necklace was prettier anyway. If only the internet had been around, I could have Googled "Floating heart necklace" and viola! Problem solved! Friendship saved! Stupid non-existent internet of the 80's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Hallmark makes a card for such an emotion. Maybe your friend could read your blog and give you a call. And waht about the boy, is he bald, fat and married with 3 kids and a minivan? Don't leave us hanging and by us, I mean me. What about the boy?