Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What Would You Do?


While we were at the Aquarium Restaurant last week we sat next to a couple of mommies and their children. The kids ranged from about 2 to 10 years old. The older kids ran around the restaurant looking at all the fish (as did mine!) The mommies and the 2 littler kids stayed at the table. They looked like they were having a nice mommy's day out, until one of the little ones started fussing. Not bad fussing, just a little bit of whining. I heard the mom threaten her child with what sounded like "hot sauce". I thought sure that I misunderstood because I have never heard of punishment like this before. When I glanced over I saw the mom with a dropper that she was putting in her child's mouth. Obviously the little girl (about Hannah's age) was used to this because she opened her mouth like a little bird, all the while crying "It's hot, it's hot!" The woman then apologized to her friend for the noise. I was so infuriated and stunned but I didn't know what to do. I mean, what could you do? It is so passive-aggressive to just shoot her dirty looks and if I was braver maybe I would have said something to her. Is it an over-reaction on my part to be so upset by this?

8 comments:

a said...

Oh my goodness, Natalie! I can't believe I didn't see you watching me when we were at the restaurant!

- Amanda M.

Natalie said...

Bwahaahaa!!! I thought she looked familiar. Just be happy I didn't open a can of mommy outrage on you!!!

candy said...

I'm such a wimp, I would have done what you did and fretted about it. What a monster.

Toothy said...

I would have freaked out if I saw that, but I would have been a chicken and not have said anything. My parents used to wash my mouth out with soap, at least hot sauce is edible, sort of. I got your awesome pop up card today, it is soooo cute. Jack thought it was a pop up book and whenever I opened it, he wanted me to read to him, so I made up a story about the tree house in the card. I heard that Jack had a fun time swimming with Hannah today, I'm glad her ears are better.

Anonymous said...

Well, being as old as dirt I am sure I would have said "did I just see you put hot sauce in that child's mouth.
Don't you realize that child could choke on that stuff?" At your age I would probably given dirty looks and said nothing. Mom

Natalie said...

Mama, you are not old as dirt! But, thanks for backing me up!

Anonymous said...

Next time you see Roy ask him how many times he had "hot sauce" in his mouth!!! I always wonder what research based material these discipline interventions come from? -Melissa

Natalie said...

Oh no Melissa! Well I guess Roy is proof that that type of discipline just doesn't work!