Sunday, June 21, 2009

Daddy




Some people have Dads, some have Fathers, but just a few have Daddies. I absolutely have a Daddy. When I am 60 years old I will still call him Daddy. Here's 20 things you should know about him:
  1. When I say "I love you" he says "me more" always has, always will.
  2. Growing up our family always sat in the back of church because sometimes Daddy would get the giggles and not be able to stop. He acted like he was coughing, but everyone knows the sound of smothered laughter!
  3. He had to work nights for awhile when I was little, that meant when I got home from school he had to leave for work. He wouldn't get home until I was leaving for school in the mornings. So, every Saturday he would get up early and take me roller skating, or sometimes fishing- it was my choice!
  4. About 10 years ago he tried his hand at retirement. He found himself bored and took up the obscure hobby of sweepstakes entry and free sample offers. He had a whole assembly line set up with his stamps, envelopes, scissors and pen. Then, because most sweepstakes have crazy rules about one per household, I would receive phone calls from him to look out for bars of soap or free underwear in my mailbox. Luckily this was just a phase and he decided to go to work as a consultant until he could move to Florida and do it right.
  5. Daddy is the best snuggler. He lays on the floor with huge pillows and watches t.v. Just perfect for cozying up to!
  6. Together we joined Indian Guides. I guess it was pretty politically incorrect, but it sure was fun. Dads and their daughters or sons got together a bit like Scouts, and made totem poles and did leather sewing and horseback riding. We also went camping in a gigantic metal teepee that had beds and a t.v.! My Indian name was Princess Songbird.
  7. I'm pretty sure the only time my Dad has ever called me by my name has been when he asks for me on the telephone. He has a variety of nicknames for me, Poose, Nanny, and my favorite, Girl.
  8. When I was three I received a fantastic metal toy kitchen set for Christmas. I played with that thing until it rusted. We had to put bricks in the stove to keep it from tipping over and squashing me. I'm sure it was recalled because of the number of children that cut themselves on the sharp tin edges. Whatever. My Dad stayed up all night long putting a million teeny, tiny nuts and bolts in that kitchen because apparently Santa couldn't be bothered. Then he did it all over again 30 years later for his grandbaby.
  9. Daddy reads anything that is sitting around. The backs of boxes, People magazine, anything! Several years ago I caught him at the pool reading a Sandra Brown romance. He is why I always have my nose in a book!
  10. He is a perfectionist. Because of this everything he has ever made is beautiful and perfect!
  11. He collects golf shirts. I believe he has over 50 of them.
  12. Daddy used to pick me up from school at lunch time and take me out to eat. Just the two of us. I felt so special because I actually got to leave school to eat with my Dad!
  13. He loves my mama! A lot!
  14. Disappointing Daddy has always been the worst punishment!
  15. He saves and files instructions and warranty information for every appliance he has ever purchased.
  16. My Dad learned to dance at 63 because he said he was tired of watching everyone else have fun.
  17. He calls it as he sees it. He lets most things go, but when he decides enough is enough he starts his sentence with, "Now, wait a minute..." then he tells you how it is! I always go to him first with news or questions about work!
  18. He reads some sort of newspaper every single day no matter what!
  19. He will not watch a television show that is bloody or one where a child is harmed- both make him sick to his stomach.
  20. He loves me so much and has always played with me when I wanted it and listened to me when I needed it!
Happy Father's Day!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl
Sometimes your memory is too good but I can't deny a thing.
Daddie

Mrs. G. said...

Mr. G. and my daughter were in Indian Guides-sweet memories.

You are so lucky to have a daddy. He sounds like a true sweetheart. I was lucky to have a granddaddy.

I love this post.

Anonymous said...

Natalie, that's so sweet. Your Daddy is truly a special man. By the way, is that the Corvette he sold so he could get you? If so, you better be really nice to him for a long, long time, because you've still got some making up to do :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm done. I refuse to read any more posts that start with a list of 20 things, they make me teary. And if I do read another list, I will make sure to read it only once, it's reading it 3 or 4 times that really gets me going. Will limit to one reading only.

Anonymous said...

Your Daddy is a wonderful man. Mom

RachelD said...

It's been wonderful today to see all the tributes to Dads, with the words, "I have," and "My Daddy is," and "My Daddy loves,"---all present tense.

Thank you for sharing the life you still have with your Dad---I've loved hearing about all of them.

RRigdon said...

This was precious. And his comment made me get a lump in my throat. What an adorable, sweet treasure chest of memories.

Toothy said...

Awe this post got me teary eyed, it was soo sweet, it made me want Dennis as a Daddy. My stepmom has to remind my Dad to keep in touch with me and last year he forgot my birthday completely.

Toothy said...

Awe this post got me teary eyed, it was soo sweet, it made me want Dennis as a Daddy. My stepmom has to remind my Dad to keep in touch with me and last year he forgot my birthday completely.