Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sick Day



I went to work today as usual. I got a call from my mom (who is visiting from Florida!) saying that Hannah was very sick. I started giving her directions immediately, "Give her pedialyte, try some toast, how about some popsicles?" Then I heard a pitiful voice in the background say "I need my Mommy". Not wanted, but NEEDED. So I threw the manager-on-duty phone to another manager and left the building. The poor girl was sick all day. She was restless but wanted to be on my lap, so she crawled up and squirmed, then down and squirmed, then moaned, etc. In the middle of all this, she decided that a small collection of flashlights needed to be beside her. As she was describing the flashlights to me, she explained that one only works "intermittently." Huh? Where did this word come from? I refuse to allow my 2 year old to have a better vocabulary than I. Although this word is not part of my everyday language, I think it should be. I shall begin now:

Hannah vomited intermittently for 10 hours.
I held a bowl up to Hannah's mouth intermittently throughout the day.

Ah yes, already it sounds better!

5 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

I hope your sweetie feels better soon. There is no nurse like mommy.

RRigdon said...

Ha!!!!!!! Intermittently, I wonder if my kids are smarter than me. But then, I intermittently turn on the t.v. and let them drain their brains to level the playing field.

Anonymous said...

Poor, sweet Hannah. Intermittently huh? Is it possible we finally found something Hannah got from you, not her Daddy. On 2nd thought, I never heard you use that word in all the years I've known you. Sounds like a "Paul" word to me. Hope she feels better soon, and that you don't get it.

a said...

I feel you! Henry also vomited intermittently all night Tuesday night, although his vocabulary was not so sparkling at the time.

Let's hope everyone stays healthy now!

- Amanda M.

RRigdon said...

off topic: i thought i was following your blog, but turns out, i just added you to my blog list. how do i become a follower? you must be patient with me. i am disabled in these ways...