Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Have Yourself a Blood-Sucking Christmas


I try very hard to not judge what people read.  As a business person I am just glad that they are willing to spend money on books, as a person person I am just happy that they are reading. When Harry Potter was all the rage and I became so very tired of walking to the same section over and over again to hand someone a Harry Potter book, I could easily tell myself this.  I enjoyed Harry Potter and I could see a new genre emerging.  It was fun to talk about a good book with people that were interested.  I will sell all sorts of crap and not be annoyed because 1.  It is my livelihood, and 2.  The world is amusing because of differences.

 But this year, from this point on, known as The Vampire Christmas, has me weary.  And grumpy.  In 22 years of bookselling I cannot recall a book that has brought people out from the hollers of Kentucky quite like this series.  I can pinpoint the Twilight Mamas when they walk in the front door and gaze up at the tall ceilings and bright lights like they are in New York City, walk past the Twilight table to ask if we have bathrooms, then tell me that their daughter just saw the movie and would like the books.  I will explain the order of the series and recommend titles, then they will mosey on over to the cafe to order a Co-Cola.

Truly, I am not a snarky, judgmental person by nature.  I sort of live and let live.  You don't have to explain to me that the sex book you are buying is a gag gift.  I don't mind if you want to liven things up a bit.  But here's the thing:  the books STINK.  That is all.
  
Did I mention that I was grumpy?

Stephenie Meyer is driving me to drink. 

7 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

I couldn't get past page 30 on the first one. Harry Potter I got, but these vampire books are beyond my understanding.

I think SM's writing is marginal.

RRigdon said...

co-cola. co-cola. it's funny to hear it spoken, and even funnier to read it.

Proper Primer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Proper Primer said...

First of all, even though I agree and hate all things black and red, I like job security! Second, I happen to like a co-cola once in a while, judgmental!

Natalie said...

Yes, yes I know! Let's chalk this post up to a bad day in retail, shall we? After a good night's sleep I'm tempted to remove the post, but then again, sometimes the truth hurts!!!

RRigdon said...

Leave. The. Post.

Anonymous said...

Making a judgment is not being judgmental. Its having an opinion and knowing the difference between good and bad. Courts, teachers, bosses, moms, and all sorts of people must judge daily. We can argue forever about who gets to make the definitions, but we'll always need standards.