Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Things People Say (Or... Oh No She Di In't)


Yesterday I went to Wal-Mart with Hannah, who was wearing a pink shirt and a pink bow (this will become important later.)  We did our shopping and were checking out.  I happened to fall in the lane of a cashier who is also a regular customer at my store.  I greeted her by name and we exchanged some pleasantries.  Then she told me how my little boy is not so little anymore, and how old is he?  Well, sometimes that happens, so no biggie.  I just answered her questions.  No need to make someone feel bad by saying "Yes, SHE is getting bigger, and SHE is almost 2 years old, in GIRL years."  Then she said "Expecting again?"  Again, no reason to embarrass her, once I said "Nope, I just like candy, lots of it!"  I thought she would be so humiliated that she would want the ground to swallow her whole.  But no, instead she told me that the shirt I was wearing made me look like I was pregnant again, but that it was a pretty shirt, and looked very comfortable.  Then she asked if we were hiring because she has always wanted to work for Barnes & Noble.  Um...... NO, no openings for the position of Self-Esteem Killer!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My MOM patted my fat belly in my oversized, princess style, flowy shirt the other day and asked me if I was "expecting." Yep, I'm expecting that I need to loose some weight, or to stop wearing that shirt...

Mrs. G. said...

Where have manners gone? Unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! You could also call it your "food baby."