Wednesday, August 26, 2009

This Post Brought to You by Cheerios, Ziplock, & Kotex


The new Box Tops for Education website is live today! My friend Sonja and I are the box top coordinators for Natcher Elementary. I volunteered because I thought this would be something that I could do from home while drinking wine. Of course I was wrong, because it is hard to sort things while drinking wine. It is also hard to count things while drinking wine.

Anyway... for those of you that don't know, it is FREE MONEY, people. Basically you buy the stuff you would normally buy like cereal, baggies, granola bars, and adult diapers, except that you buy specific brands such as General Mills, Ziplock, Cascadian Farms, and Depends because they contain Box Tops. These are little coupons that you cut off your boxes and send to school, then Sonja and I will count, bundle and ship them off. For every box top that we send in Natcher will receive 10 cents. Yes, it is a bit of a sad and pathetic way to have to earn money, but General Mills will give up to $20,000 per school! I realize that $20,000 = 200,000 box tops that have to be sorted and counted and bundled and shipped, but we are dedicated coordinators!

Then you have some partners, like K Mart. They are giving away 20 bonus box tops for every 5 box top items that you purchase. Buy five additional items and you get 70 extra bonus box tops. That's 100 box tops!!! Doesn't it just make you want to run over to K Mart sometime before September 14th to purchase your Hefty Garbage Bags, Juicy Juice or Avery Labels? You need that stuff anyway, right? Don't bother asking the cashiers about it, because they won't know what you are talking about. The register will automatically spit out a coupon for your extra box tops!
If your child doesn't go to Natcher Elementary you can just mail the box tops directly to me, because I'm sure your school doesn't participate in such programs. (I believe I said "Box Top" 12 times in this post, just sayin'.)

4 comments:

Toothy said...

We go through alot of kleenex, ziplock bags and Hefty garbage bags at work and I have been cutting them out and saving them for a lady at work who gives them to her nieces for their school, but I will try and remember to give them to you now. She does it cause they are the only kids we know to give them to.

Melissa Rush said...

I thought my days of box tops were behind me, but now I feel compelled to help your cause out and save them for you!!

Natalie said...

Thank you both for your support! While in Asheville I have trimmed, taped, organized and counted 2,461 box tops! We need more!!

candy said...

I can't think of a more perfect person to be in charge of such a worthy program. You always were the queen of contests. I used to save them for my sister's class, but she's retired, so I'll start saving them for you.