Friday, March 20, 2009

The Pretty, Pretty Asheville Store- Whatever, I'm Not Bitter

Last week I got to go to Asheville, North Carolina to help open the new Barnes & Noble. They relocated the old store, which was very small and dingy, to a brand spankin' new, shiny store. My job was to help with training and to ensure that the company standards were met. But mainly I just wandered around petting all the new everythings. Not that I'm jealous. I'm sure I could have a view of the mountains from my second story study area if I had a second story, or some mountains around, or room for a study area. Whatever. I don't even want escalators because I would fall down them, I'm certain. And to protect myself from falling down them I would be forced to wear clunky, orthopedic shoes instead of pretty heels. And that would be tragic.


I could have a register in my children's department if I wanted one, because I have that much pull in the company. I just don't want one, that's all. And my cash register drawers look this tidy. I just wanted to show everyone a picture since you probably never get to see this side of my store. There is no reason for you to test this. It's true, really.

I had a great drive through the mountains and didn't have to stop once during the 6 hour drive there and back to take a nap in a random parking lot.  I arrived in Asheville, checked into my hotel and took myself to dinner.  The first night in my hotel room was sheer heaven.  It's kind of nice to have ultimate control of the t.v. and to spend the evening in bed knowing that tomorrow while you are at work some nice person will sneak into your room to clean everything and make your bed.  I ate Milk Duds in bed and watched free HBO.  Just because I could.  After the first night I started missing home.  Only one night and I started to cave.  By the end of the week I rushed through my work so that I could leave a day early.

While I wasn't allowed to take any of the shiny stuff from the new store, I was allowed to take some of the crappy stuff from the old store.  So I loaded my car as full as I could and brought home some dirty, scratched up fixtures that will make my store look brand spankin' new.  Or at least dingy and old in a new way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your entry is hilarious and makes me miss it all. Wish I had been there! (maybe, just for the opening)

Proper Primer said...

Let's make ourselves feel better about this.
Reasons to love our store just the way it is:

#1 Less to straighten
#2 Less places to look for loitering customers at 10:06
#3 Less places to stack magazines

For now, I will keep our store.

Anonymous said...

Just think of all the accident reports you'd have to fill out when shoe laces get caught in the escalator and you know there would be the elevators for people to hide in and do bad things. The MOD checklist must be 3 pages long. Just keep telling yourself, there's no place like home....