Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Love/Hate Relationship with "All Dogs Go To Heaven"


In keeping with the retro child that I am rearing, Hannah has apparently been watching  everyone's favorite Burt Reynolds classic All Dogs Go To Heaven on VHS.  She goes over to Grandma Lisa's t.v., turns the power on the VCR, pops the tape in and prepares herself (and Grandma) to be mesmerized/terrified by the voices of Burt Reynolds, Dom DeLuise, Charles Nelson Reilly and Loni Anderson for the next 15 minutes (or until she gets scared.)

This movie is the story of Charlie, an escaped pound dog, who is murdered by an old friend,  Carface, an equally rough dog.  Then Charlie goes to heaven where poodles sing songs about the joys of dog heaven. Charlie returns to earth to get revenge for his death. Or so the IMDb website tells me.  All I know is that after watching this movie once, a month ago, Hannah mentions it every day.  She blames random things on it.  For instance, today she told me that her "eyelashes were pokey because of All Dogs Go To Heaven."  I'm not sure exactly what that means, but sometimes good things are explained because of the movie as well.

As with the Green Hairy Knuckles, she made Grandma Lisa hide the videotape in a cabinet which she would open several times during the day just to make sure it was still there.  She has seen the movie only once and will never watch it again (due to it's mysterious disappearance and discussions of "inappropriateness".)  I wonder how long I will continue to hear about it? This must be my punishment for not monitoring closely enough what my child watches.

1 comment:

RRigdon said...

hahahahahaaaaaaaa We watched 2.2 seconds of that movie before I yanked it out. It's kind of like the Rats of Nihm (sp), wherein the hero says, "Damn it!!" Brendan I secretly can't get enough of it. So super funny.