Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Speaking of Elves



The Elf on the Shelf is a book that comes with a little red Kewpie elf. It's a wonderful tradition to start with your family. We began ours this year. Here's how it works: 1. You name your elf (Sneaky Bernard is the chosen name at our house), 2. Every night Bernard magically disappears to visit the North Pole to tell Santa if you've been naughty or nice, 3. Your elf will magically reappear in a different location in your house every morning. 4. If you touch him he loses some of his magic. 5. Register your elf online and get a letter from Santa (because what good is a toy if you can't register it online?)

So, it seems that there have been a few nights that Bernard does not travel to the North Pole. Cassie pointed this out when he didn't magically reappear in a different location the next morning. We chalked it up to a defective elf or perhaps a lazy elf.
   Give the elf a break wontcha? He probably works all day and is very tired at the end of the day and sometimes just can't REMEMBER to go to the North Pole and magically reappear in a different location. And how many different locations are there for an elf to sit in anyway?

Also, isn't it a little creepy to have an elf watching you all the time? Then moving around the house all willy nilly like?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have these same elves from the 60s that were on our tree when we were little. I never knew I was supposed ot move the elves. I must find out more. Candy

Natalie said...

What do you mean MOVE the elf? Candy, the elf moves magically on his own after visiting Santa Claus. Sort of strange to know that you have many elves watching you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Candy! Hey, Natalie! You two crack me up. I just sent this information to Mina, who, God bless her tree-hugging hide, will no longer "murder" a tree for Christmas. However, her daughter clearly remembers the tree from last year and wants to know why the situation has changed. Too funny. Natalie, we'll be in the store tomorrow for Christmas exchange. Join us if you're around. I think the three of us should get together for lunch after the New Year. What say?

Anonymous said...

To clarify, I mean me, Natalie and Candy. Candy, we can reminisce about Princess Diana.

Anonymous said...

And to demonstrate to you both that I've NEVER done a blog before, this is Cheryl Kirby-Stokes. I just realized you may be wondering who the hell CK-S is. I'll leave everyone alone now. Ah, technology. Heavy sigh.

Mrs. G. said...

Oh my gosh, we have these same elves. My mom passed them on to me a few years back. I will be moving them tonight. I think it will freak my kids out...all the more reason to do it.