Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Balance



Balance has always been difficult for me- impossible actually. I suppose I have always been like this, although I don't remember my younger self much. I do remember a childhood filled with notebooks, charts, folders and special pens.
Another obsession: Girl Scout badges. I was going to have ALL the badges on my vest. ALL OF THEM. One of my regrets in life is that I've lost my vest filled with hard earned badges.





I become obsessed with completing whatever project I have volunteered for, or whatever project looked like a new business venture, or whatever just looked like fun. Then I move quickly to uninterested. Most of my crafting hobbies fall into this category. I find something that looks interesting, like crocheting an afghan, I do the research (and research and research), then get the supplies, then go to work. I expect an afghan to materialize within a few minutes and when it doesn't I get discouraged. If anyone is interested in several half completed craft projects, I'm your girl.

Some of my past obsessions:
Terrariums
Beaded Crafts
Handmade Paper
Baking
Granny Squares
Dieting
Decoupage
Guitar Playing
Little House on the Prairie and all things Laura Ingalls Wilder
Blogging


Some future obsessions that I'm pondering:
The PTO
Crocheting
Party Planning
Blogging

You might notice that exercise isn't on either list. Although in the past it could have easily appeared on the past obsession list (several times,) I have decided that this will be the main focus of balance for me. It's super hard for me to continue working as hard as I am when I'm not losing massive amounts of weight immediately. Every single day I have to remind myself that fitness is a way of life, not a hobby. That it is something I do just like brushing my teeth. So, this is my new motto, this is the picture on my phone, this what I recite to myself every damn day:



1 comment:

Toothy said...

I too have many started projects that never got finished, but that was my New Year's resolution this year, and I AM GOING TO FINISH them, if it is the last thing I do. One of them was the scrapbook kit for Hannah that I meant to give her last year for her birthday, oops.I am trying to get into smashbooking too, have you joined the smashbook group on facebook, you will get a ton of inspiration. Also with the whole working out thing, that has been my motto too, just do it damn it, cause you will always feel better afterwards. I get easily bored with my workouts too, right now I am sooo bored with the elliptical machine, that I have been working out on the wii fit and doing the Biggest Loser challenge too. Hang in there Natalie and just know that you are not the only one that gets obsessed with new things and then quickly turns uninterested.