Saturday, November 29, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

I love, love, love Thanksgiving.  It's not because I particularly love pilgrims, or cooking, or even turkey for that matter, but it is because I get to have the entire family over.  I would be happy doing it every week.  Honestly, I would.  I grew up with a very tiny immediate family, but lots of aunts, uncles and cousins that always celebrated holidays together.  Once my family moved from Illinois to Kentucky it was harder to get everybody together and it rarely happened.  Since getting married, I've inherited my own large family!  At first it felt a little like being a code breaker.  I wasn't even totally clear on names and relation, let alone history.  There were some customs that I had to learn. For instance, when traveling with food, you put all your items in a laundry basket lined with towels.  Did you know that?  It's a very sensible thing to do, it keeps the food warm and is easy to transport.  I also felt so inadequate at first, being surrounded by these confident, strong Boddeker women made me a little intimidated.  I was so nervous, that I never ate when we had parties at our house!  Since then, I have learned to relax and enjoy the day.  Even when the oven dies and we have to transport 2 raw birds to my mother in law's house via golfcart.  No worries, because Melissa brought the wine!!

Look Melanie!  We did it and it was FUN!

After eating we went for the traditional Thanksgiving swim and rock wall climbing exhibition.  Just like on the First Thanksgiving.




2 comments:

Melanie said...

Natalie! They are adorable! And yours even turned out much more attractive than ours, truly.

Happy Thanksgiving!

RRigdon said...

You are awesome, and flexible, and full of grace. Just what the occasion always calls for. :)