Friday, April 25, 2008

I Think I May Have a Problem

So I have been traveling a lot for work lately.  For the past few nights I have been in hotel rooms.  Of course I brought a book (actually a couple, cause you don't want to be stuck with a bad book!)  I was up very late reading, 3 a.m., when I got to a critical point in my book.  I couldn't go any further, I knew it was the point in which "the bad stuff happens to the good people".  I had to either put the book down for the night, or commit to reading to the end.  I did the responsible thing and put my book away, put my earplugs in, and went to sleep.  Then, I woke in a panic the next morning!  I was late!  I rushed to check out of my room and in my hurry, I later discovered that I had left my book in the bed.

I went back and forth the next few days trying to forget about the heroine and her cool, hip New York friends.  I told myself that they didn't matter, and it didn't really affect my life at all. I could move on.  I went to work all casual like and looked the book up in our system to see if we had it.  No luck, the book is an Advance Reading Copy and is not due out until mid-May.  I know the solution to this problem.  I know all I have to do is call the hotel and ask them if they found my book.  I know this will require UPS and a fee.  I decide there are other fish in the sea and  I will try another book.  But my heart just wasn't in it and I couldn't commit.  It wasn't the book, it was me.  Maybe if the timing had been better, I'm not quite over my other book, etc...

Today I received my book from the hotel via UPS.  I think I may have a problem.
P.S. The book isn't even all that great. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, don't tell me the new Emilie Giffin book isn't wonderful! I loved her other books so much. Please take it back, I can't take this disappointment on top of a terrible Mary Kay Andrews book. "Deep Dish" was a dud, but I loved Savannah Breeze and Savannah Blues so much. Now I'm depressed....Candy