Friday, June 27, 2008

A Virtual Date with Mrs. G!

Awesomely fun Mrs. G asked for people to play with her. So, here it is: the heart of our house!



This was quite a challenge and I was apprehensive about participating because although my house is incredibly well built (by my husband!) and incredibly well lived in, I have had a very hard time finding "soul" in it. I moved in this house 3 years ago into a space vacated by my 3 older kids' mother. Between her leaving and my arrival it was sort of a bachelor pad (which means it was set up purely for function, not so much with style in mind.) This resulted in some odd decorating, such as kitchen chairs in the living room so you could play video games better, recliners in the middle of the room because that was the best t.v. viewing spot, etc.  When I moved in, I had a difficult time transitioning. I had to leave my sweet little house that was PERFECT for me and decorated with color and all the THINGS I love and instead move to a house that had all the PEOPLE I love.  I chose the people, of course, but since then I have been struggling to make something in this house my own.  Also, I didn't want to move in and immediately start making drastic changes.  Just having me around was drastic enough!  One thing was clear right off the bat though; this house had nowhere near enough space for my books! So, my sweet husband built this bookcase.  We went together to find the absolutely most comfortable couch on the face of the planet which is perfect for reading, snuggling, or even watching your favorite episode of iCarly (over and over and over!)  The back of the room is the play area for the kids.  It has a bin of toys, a bench full of baby doll clothes and various animal shaped pillows. The couch usually has a bunch of blankets and pillows on it.  This is also where I take Hannah to snuggle if she wakes up in the middle of the night or is not feeling well.  We have spent several very early mornings curled up on this couch together!  

7 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

Your right-people win over decor. That couch is beautiful. And that big map on the wall? Niiiiiice.

Louise said...

I believe it doesn't matter where the chairs are if it works for your family, and the people you love are in them.

Can you send some bookshelves my way?

blackbird said...

I'm really into maps - that one's great...

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I bet transitioning into any family, let alone a house, would post lots of challenges.

KEEP BELIEVING

Anonymous said...

Yes, people you love over things you love any day. My husband and I joke that there's no such thing as too many books, just not enough bookshelves. Your husband built you some real beauties.

Anonymous said...

What a great room! And how wonderful that your husband built the shelves for you. Mine would have watched me install store-bought shelves all by myself. :-)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

A snuggle place is very important.