Thursday, April 12, 2012

Table for One, or Two at the Most


I am a Training Store Manager for a big box retailer. This means that newly hired store managers come to me from all areas to learn how we do things at this company. For 4-ish weeks they stay in my town and train in my store starting at the entry level in week 1 and ending in store manager responsibilities with week 4. During this time, the trainee is put up in a hotel, given an expense account, and asked to put their home life on hold while they focus on nothing but their new company. It's a great way to enter a business. My life however, continues with running my business and shuttling kids hither and yon. I don't have a lot of time to fit cruise director into the normal daily activities. So, it is really helpful when the trainee that comes to me is able to entertain him or herself.

I didn't really expect this last one though. Not only was she her own cruise director, but she also acquired several new Facebook Friends. On her last night in town we finally got a chance to go to dinner together. We walked into a (new to me) restaurant. As usual in a small town that you have lived in for over 30 years, I knew a handful of people. I waved and chatted because this is a pretty normal occurrence. I was instantly overwhelmed though because 1. I was in a new place 2. I saw people I knew 3. There was a woman standing on a stage with a microphone (and in my head that means that people could be called up there for some sort of PUBLIC SPEAKING) 4. I was in a new place.

But my trainee? She walked in the door and started hugging the owners and waving to the woman on the stage. Immediately, while I was retreating quietly into a corner table, she was pulling up a table to join in the trivia contest that was happening. I begged to sit at a table for two in the corner "Just until we order, then we can move." Which really means, "After I have a drink, I may be able to stuff this panicky feeling down enough to seem like a normal person."

Turns out we didn't have to move after my drink because people kept coming by to talk to my trainee. She exchanged phone numbers, more hugs, emails, and promises to visit again. I sat quietly, nursing my drink, observing all the interesting, very nice people, and trying to win the trivia contest in my head, enjoying the company of my wonderful new friend, completely happy with the differences that make us who we are.

2 comments:

jmd said...

I enjoyed this! You are a talent!

Natalie said...

Why thank you, jmd!!!!