Monday, February 2, 2009

Worry Wart


Everyone worries about their kids.  I get that.  I got that before I had kids because I knew how my parents worried about me.  I guess I anticipated the worry about health issues.  You know, will they fall down the stairs and break a bone?  Are they eating enough vegetables?  Is that fever too high, should we go to the hospital?  What I didn't anticipate was the worry about EVERY SINGLE LITTLE THING.  All the time.  It seems like I just stop worrying about one thing when something else comes up.  I worry about the people they are, the people they will become, the things they say, the things I say.  What if I forget something major that I am responsible for teaching them?  What if I give the wrong answers?  What if?  What if? And this is all while they are still too young to go anywhere without an adult.  How do people survive the teenage years? 
I have polled people at work and from what I hear it doesn't go away, ever, it just changes.  Like right now, I bet my mother is worrying about me.  (Aren't you, Mama?)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You bet I am. Mom

RRigdon said...

You're doing great.

RachelD said...

I'll pass along a saying from my dear first MIL when my children were very young:

"Right now, they're on your toes; later they'll be on your heart."

Anonymous said...

My 72 year old mother calls me regularly to inquire if I'm eating enough...

Right now, my biggest worry with Zachary is what you said about teaching them everything. Let's see. Colors... check. Shapes... check. Numbers and letters... in progress. BUT WHAT IF I FORGET SOMETHING??? What if he grows up and I never taught him the days of the week? He'll never know what day to go to school or work and which day to take off, because I never taught him the days of the week!!! This is a lot harder that I thought it would be...

Anonymous said...

Teach them how to figure things out. You will be more relaxed (eventually) and they will be so capable!

Libby

Anonymous said...

I just keep telling myself that if I can teach Sylvia four things everything else will take care of itself:

1. Curiosity about the world around her.
2. A sense of self-worth.
3. A sense of humor
4. Empathy for those around her.

Natalie said...

Great advice, everyone! Jim, I LOVE it that you have it narrowed down to such manageable pieces! I think you are totally right!

Anonymous said...

Now, that's not to say that breaking it down to those 4 things keeps me from having the panic attacks...it's just the way I talk myself back down. :)

Anonymous said...

I have learned that you do not JUST have to be a parent to have this anxiety. You can also be a student teacher. I wonder, does he REALLY have to go to the bathroom? Is she REALLY sick to her stomach. I will only find out the real answers after has peed on our carpet or puked in the hallway. Like today. When will I know?